First of it’s kind in the World!
You can Swim with Dolphins in Port Stephens NSW thanks to Dolphin Swim Australia. This is the first and ONLY permitted wild dolphin swim in NSW. Our wild dolphin swim is also the first of its kind in the world!
As featured on various national Australian television shows such as:
- The Living Room
- Australian Geographic
- Sydney Weekender
- Melbourne Weekender
- ABC ME
- What’s Up Down Under
- The Off-road Adventure Show
Having just completed an 8th season Dolphin Swim Australia are currently rated #1 Boat Tour & Water Sport in Nelson Bay on TripAdvisor and our reviews speak volumes!
Swim with Dolphins Port Stephens NSW
When is this experience available:
Seasons run from the first weekend in September until the last weekend in May
Tours generally run from Thursday to Sunday inclusive (sea conditions permitting and if a minimum number of bookings has been reached), however we do run on other days by demand and are also available for private charter (NB: tours run every day throughout New South Wales school holidays, except during our off-season in winter).
What to expect with this experience
- Tour begins by meeting at Dock C, d’Albora Marina, Nelson Bay, at 5.00am.
- Once guests have checked in and been fitted with their wet suit, mask and snorkel
- The Boat leaves the dock and travels out through the heads of Nelson Bay towards a stunning sunrise (weather permitting, of course!).
- Whilst travelling out to the Port Stephens-Great Lakes Marine Park, guests are trained in the swim protocols, as well as being given a snorkel briefing.
- During the training, guests are also placed in groups of 6 (there is a limit of 24 swimmers and 12 observers on each tour).
The Swimming experience of a lifetime
Once the dolphins have been located and their behaviour monitored and found to be favourable for a swim, the first group of guests enters a net at the bow of the vessel. Attached to a marine lanyard from the safety harness each guest is wearing to a customised line that is strung between the two bows of the catamaran.
The vessel stops while the swimmers (and accompanying dive master) enter the water and it then begins to slowly move forward. The dolphins swim back and forth between the bows of the vessel, quite often within a metre of the swimmers and seemingly fascinated by the strange creatures being towed through the water behind them! You are so close to the dolphins, it is just like being a part of the pod!!
This activity is an amazing and exhilarating bucket list experience, the memory of which will stay with participants forever!
Each tour includes:
- All gear (wetsuit, mask, snorkel and safety harness)
- Four hour cruise of the marine park
- A light breakfast
- Educational commentary and
- Above-water photos (averaging around 150 per tour) which are later uploaded to DSA’s Facebook Page where guests can download or copy and share the photos.
- The vessel returns to the dock by 10.00am
Below is some amazing video footage to get a real feel of this amazing experience
Swim with Dolphins in Port Stephens NSW. Dolphin Swim Australia operates the first and ONLY permitted wild dolphin swim, the first of its kind in the world!